New Year, New You!
New Year, New You: Resources for Problem Gambling
New Year is a time to make resolutions, change things that we want to be different in our lives, and set the course for a better year. If you are having problems with your gambling, it may be something you want to change. It may affect your finances, your relationships with family, and your mental health among other things.
If you are lying about how much you are gambling or going back time after time to chase your losses, these may be indicators that you are experiencing a problem with gambling. Sometimes gambling can become hard to control, and can cause a lot of stress in your life. If this is the case for you, New Year is the perfect time to reach out for support and resources.
Setting New Year Resolutions
It can be overwhelming to set a resolution of reaching out for support for your gambling, but the New York State Problem Gambling Resource Centers can help you navigate the resources. It may feel like you are alone; but know that there are many people here to help you.
Making SMART Goals
It’s always a smart decision to reach out for help, just like it is smart to set goals and resolutions. If you are thinking about stopping your gambling, the SMART goal acronym can help you on your path to success. For example:
Specific – What will be accomplished?
- Setting a specific goal to get help for your gambling can result in addressing any negative impacts gambling may have on your life
Measurable – How will you measure your goal?
- By calling the PGRC and connecting with a therapist you will be able to see your progress in stopping or reducing your gambling. It will mean better relationships with your family and friends and less stress in your life.
Achievable – Can you achieve this goal?
- The Problem Gambling Resource Centers can assist you in achieving your goal. They have many resources and will help you find the best resources for you to help you stop or reduce your gambling.
Relevant – Why is the result of my goal important?
- Getting support can result in a reduction of stress and leading a healthier life for you and your family. It is important to remember desired goal results can look different for everyone.
Time-Bound – What’s the time frame for this goal?
- Are you ready to receive support? Do you want to reduce the stress and anxiety that gambling is causing in your life? Call the Problem Gambling Resource Center in your region now and they can work with you to get the resources you need.
Achieving your goals
Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound resolutions can help you to stop your gambling. However, even with the best of intentions, getting help for your gambling can feel paralyzing and scary. The SMART thing to do is to reach out to the Problem Gambling Resource Center to help you achieve your goals and stay on track this year with your New Year’s resolutions.
Where can I get resources?
The Problem Gambling Resource Centers are Here to Help in New York State. After deciding to get help for your gambling, the next step would be to visit www.NYProblemGamblingHELP.org to find the resource center closest to you. Making a phone call is easy, and you will be connected to a program manager who can support you. With a network of clinicians and therapists who have been trained in problem gambling treatment you will be on the right path for your resolutions to stop gambling.
Make that first step to stop your gambling today, we are here to help at NYProblemGamblingHELP.org