Call NOW for Gambling Assistance in Queens
What’s New in Queens:
Navigating Your Recovery
The New Year brings about new promises to us and others. It is a time when we think about change and growth in our lives. What do we want to do better? What do we think that we can accomplish?
In New York State 4.3% of adult residents are experiencing problems related to their gambling activity (over 600,000 adults). If you are part of that number, getting help for your gambling may be on your list of resolutions this year.
If you made a commitment to stop gambling this year, congratulations – the first step has been taken! Now it is all about staying on track and staying safe during your recovery. Recovery is a journey and there will be ups and downs as you navigate it.
How Can You Navigate Your Recovery?
- Being prepared can help you handle situations that have previously led you to gamble. This may mean connecting with a therapist, a step-program, or a peer to guide you. You may want to try out several methods to see what works best for you. Whatever the case is, your local Problem Gambling Resource Center can help find resources for you.
DEALING WITH CONSEQUENCES
- Gambling may have caused damage to your finances, relationships, or job status. This may come with many emotions and can be challenging to navigate but know that support is available to help you manage and guide you toward a better future.
IDENTIFY YOUR GAMBLING TRIGGERS
- You may have not understood your gambling triggers when you were gambling but if you have decided to stop, they may be clearer to you now. Did you gamble when you were stressed? To celebrate? Whatever the reason was, knowing why you were gambling can help you as you continue to keep a gambling free life.
EDUCATE YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
- Let your family and friends know what you have been going through and educate them about what problem gambling is. Many people don’t understand gambling, but by talking about it with them it can help repair relationships.
MAKE LIFESTYLE CHANGES
- Are there certain people that encourage your gambling? Do certain trips or places give you the urge to gamble? While it may be difficult, it may be necessary to make these changes to your life to keep you healthy.
REACHING OUT FOR SUPPORT WHEN YOU HAVE URGES
- You may have decided to stop gambling, but the pathway to your recovery can still be challenging. Make sure you have a support system to lean on when you have urges.
Know that Help Is available
Most importantly, know that you are not alone. At the NYS Problem Gambling Resource Centers (PGRCs) our goal is to get you connected to the resources you need to succeed. Whether that is information on support meetings, clinical appointments or peer services, we are here to help you. Visit NYProblemGamblingHELP.org today to find the resource center near you and get connected!
|The Queens PGRC currently offers treatment options available in: English, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Tagalog, Urdu, Hindi, and Russian. We’re always on the lookout for new clinicians to expand our range of treatment options. If you or someone you know is interested in joining our clinician network, click here to view our Eligibility Requirements.|
Want to get involved and bring problem gambling awareness to your neighborhood or community? Have questions about the programs and services we offer? Get in touch with us at 347-761-3103 or email us at [email protected]
The Queens Problem Gambling Resource Center is a program of the New York Council on Problem Gambling, which is funded by the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports. The Queens PGRC is dedicated to addressing the issue of problem gambling in Queens through increasing public awareness and connecting those adversely affected with services that can help them.
The Queens Problem Gambling Resource Center is dedicated to the positive transformation of lives harmed by problem gambling. This vision of transformation includes individuals with a gambling problem as well as their families and communities. With a focus on supporting the individual and reducing barriers to care, the Queens PGRC is truly the premier center for providing problem gambling services in Queens, NY.